Saturday, April 5, 2008

Big Day: 102 Km & 1215 Meters up

A beautiful spring day, and a Saturday to boot...perfect for a longer ride.  So off I went on the Route de Vignoble to the north toward Aubonne.  I thougth I might do 80 km today so I continued on to Lavigny and Cossonay.  Cossonay is only 72 km round-trip.  
So I kept on going  to La Sarraz, 42 km one-way.  But then I had the choice to either return by the same way I just did (which I only do if I have to) or do something new and different.  Since La Sarraz was already new and different (I'd never cycled there before) I decided for the different way. So, down toward Morges and return along Lake Geneva, or up along the foot of the Jura mountains?  
Up it was.  Up toward the Col de Mollendruz.  On to Ferrerey, Moiry and L'Isle.  I've been in L'Isle and instead of going down toward Ballens, I went up to Montricher.  At Montricher I continued along the foot of the Jura past Mollens, Berolle arriving in Biere.
In Biere I continued on to Gimel.  But instead of my normal route from Gimel which would take me to Longirod, I decided I'd had enough climbing for one day (already 950 meters) I opted to go toward Rolle.  So past  St. Oyens and the road to Signale de Bougy down toward Rolle.   I took the road to Bugnaux and Tartegnin.   Normally I go up this road, so today it was nice to go down on to Mont-sur-Rolle, Bursins, Vinzel and Luins.  
Seeing that I would be not make 100 Kms by out 4 kms, I decided to climb up Vich from Luins.  From Vich I went to Coinsins, Trelex, Gingins, and Cheserex.  
Finally down from Cheserex through Grens, Signy, and Eysins, I arrived in home in Nyon having done 102 kms.    A good day.  Now I know that I'm ready for the first day out of Anacortes Washington on June 17.  It will be about the same distance, and a good climb as well.

Total Distance: 102.26kms
Total Altitude gain: 1215 meters ( 4000 feet) not all at once, but total gain during the ride)
Total time: 4h36"
Average Speed: 22.2 kph (not bad considering all the climbing)
Temperature: 7-13 degrees C
Wind: 5-10 kms SW
Sky: Bright sun, partly cloudy

No comments: