Wednesday, February 27, 2008

25 degrees Fahrenheit and back into the Wind

Now in the States visiting my family. My father is still battling his pancreatic cancer. It's great to be here. But it's great to have a bike to ride, my new Rodriguez that I received in December came out of its suitcase and went together in half and hour.

It rides so well. A nice firm but forgiving feel. The shifting is so smooth in spite of its thirty gears.

So, back to the flat lands around Urbana. I went frm the house to Philo Road (CR 1450 E) out Windsor Road (CR 1400N). Just past Highcross Rd (CR 1600 E) I stopped and checked the wind. I thought it was pretty much out of the N so I went on figuring that I'd have this wind 90 degrees to my right side coming back.

CR 1400N jogs north at CR 2150 E (6.5 miles from Philo Road) to Homer lake Road (CR 14500 N which becomes 1400 N). I was going at a nice pace so I continued on to CR 2700 E. That was far enough so I turned around.

Surprise! The wind was WNW and not N, so I have a 25 degree, 20 mile and hour wind virtually in my face. I thought I might get cold, but my new Pearl Izumi fluorescent yellow wind jacket did the job and I didn't need to call for help ( I thought I might). I could feel the wind on my arms, but I didn't get chilled. I also rode with no water (forgot to fill the bottle).

But no worse for the wear and because I hammered to get back out of the cold, I got a really good workout.

Totaly distance 26 miles
Time: 2 hours
Tempurture: 25 Fahrenheit
Clear to party cloudy with cumulus
Wind 20 mph from WNW
Clothes : Loefler windproof tights, socks, NB cycling shoes, over booties, Odlo full-length wind shirt, Loeffler full-length cycling jersey, Pearl Isumi Wind jacket, Loeffler wind hat, helmet, Windproof medium weight gloves.

No comments: